Pembroke in Georgian Times
With the building of the new Dockyard four miles away, and the town of Pembroke Dock developing around it, Pembroke's fortunes changed. The Dockyard building was begun in 1814; and a few years later Pembroke modernised its South Quay. The narrow North Gate at the bottom of the Dark Lane was taken down in order to accommodate the increased traffic flow and ease the number of serious accidents which were happening there. Many people found employment in the new shipbuilding industry in the Dockyard, and both towns were combined into one borough. Trade was good, the Quay was busy, and a time of prosperity began. Many of Pembroke's fine Georgian houses would have been built at that time due to the increased trade to the town Quays, increased imports and exports, and the need for workers and supplies.
The coming of the railway
It was the railway which gave the final death blow to Pembroke’s shipping industry. Trains provided a far easier, quicker and more reliable way of transporting raw materials; although sailing ships continued to use Pembroke Quay until the mid 20th Century.
Below are examples of advertisments by local businesses from during the Georgian period of the town.